Friday, April 22, 2011

Tennant Trailer Renovation!

Okay, so, our tennants bought a home and moved out the end of January, 2011. I got busy right away. I wish I had gotten more before pics but this will have to do. At this point I am finishing up the hallway, the master bathroom closet, the master bedroom closet, and the small bedroom. Here is the progress so far, many many hours later...
Here we can enjoy the lovely trailer wallboard in the kitchen along with at least 3 different colors of paint on walls in the kitchen and dining area. YUCK! Also a lovely piece of hard, cloudy, non-see through plastic on one window for privacy, a rusty, sticker ladden fridge, drywall that needed patching, and a bay window in the dining area that needed the old drywall taken off, 2x4's replaced in the wall under the window and new drywall put up.

Now, I scraped, sanded, and spray painted the fridge an ivory, I used a tan(looks like dark coffee with cream) on the bottom walls in the kitchen and all the walls in the dining area, a creamy ivory on the top in the kitchen and around the bay window in the dining area, and a purple/burgandy paint for the trim boards(which were given to me a year ago and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them!). I bought ONE curtain(it contained 2 panels and a valance), and I made my curtains to fit the windows in the kitchen and dining area --- I really was going for a homey/coffee house feel. I had to sand and paint the fan vent sheild over the stove as once upon a time I think it was just stainless steel but it was mostly rust color when I saw it. I also replaced the hard nasty plastic atop the window with my good standby---limosine window cover(about $12 at an auto parts store and I have enough to do at least 4 or more lower windows in the trailer for privacy) As you can see in the second pic down - you can see the dog fence and everything outside, but you can't see in -in the day and at night anyone outside can only see shadowy type images when lights are on inside.

I also added an oak board under the window shelf as there a sad piece of thin damaged board under before I tore off all the wall under the window and replaced inside framing under the window. I also put new wood base inside the middle window for the inside sill(as I did for the living room and need to for the kitchen and bedrooms-not done yet) and I only had to paint the other two inside sill parts for a clean crisp look.

So, here is a small look at the hallway(which does not show the parts that had holes to be redrywalled) and the lovely bathroom with that lovely trailer wallboard, a curtain that didn't fit or cordinate, and a shower curtain that was of a different pattern altogether. The medicine cabinet was rusty, so I sanded and painted that too! I still have to hang the towel bar and split and sew the window curtain - again, I bought ONE curtain that had 2 panels and a valance - I used the valance for over the shower curtain and am making my curtain to fit the window. I tried to cordinate my color scheme with something that would compliment the floor tiles.

Okay, the hallway - from the end by the bathroom and washer/dryer area it is the tan from the dining room/kitchen - the hall to the bedrooms is the creamy ivory from the kitchen. I had to replace some of the corner molding and almost all of the bottom floorboard molding(which I made myself by cutting thin pieces of wood to width and length to compliment the best I could with what was there) Oops - I still have to clean the light covers and put them back on but I am still working on the floor in the hallway. I also made a really cool coat rack as there is not really a place to put coats.

Okay, now.........the master bedroom and master bath - okay - wow, there is that lovely tailer wallboard again in both rooms and an access panel of just plain greenboard! After Accessing the rooms I decided that the floors were really the only thing I couldn't change - sooooo, I planned the color schemes around those! Don't you love that peach counter in the bathroom too?!? NOT!
As you can see - I chose a foamy type sea green, a fancy boarder, and green sheer curtains for the master bedroom(I still have things on the floor since I am currently working in the closets for both rooms).

Now, for the master bath ---- I had black/white marble floor tiles I needed to cordinate around - soooooo, I painted the peach counter black, all the outlet covers, soap dish, etc. black, the handles, hinges, and edging on the cabinets black to make them pop!, again I bought ONE curtain that had 2 panels and a valance and used the valance to go over the other new shower curtain I bought, I used more of the molding to go around the room as I painted the walls all white but then sponged black on the lower half to pull it all together.

This is turning out so great. The old tennants have had to come get jugs of water still to date and LOVE what I have done. I still have to tar some of the roof, tar over the bay window, finish the floor in the hall, finish the two closets in the master bed/bath, and change the front door - whew! I will be glad when this project is done, But it is well worth all the time I have in it and with being creative and using what I have for much of it and buying on-sale curtains and making them to fit(much cheaper than buying curtains made for the trailer windows and shower valances) I ended up spending about $200 on paint, curtains, boarder and such.- we are hoping to have it rented for May!

No comments:

Post a Comment