Saturday, January 2, 2010

Farm Fresh Blackberry Jam!


Being my first year here with my boyfriend I was overjoyed to find that we have oodles and oodles of blackberries, black raspberries, and elderberries. I had to be very faithful though after milking every morning or just before a hard rain to go berry picking...about 1-2 hrs. every other day to everyday. I made homemade jam from our blackberries and black raspberries.
I made more seedless jam then regular as my boyfriend struggles with diverticulitis(spelling). It made jam production take a lot longer but so joyful to present to him something he loves so much. I was stunned to find that it was the first time in the 22 years he has owned the farm that he was able to enjoy the berries in any way, shape, or form.

The recipe is below the pics.

with seeds...

without seeds!

Jam Recipe

8 cups(or 4 pints) of berries

5 cups of sugar

Combine both in large pot and bring to boil over high heat stirring frequently. Boil uncovered about 25 min.(this is a smart thing to do-follow the time, and do just one batch at a time - I made the mistake of trying to make 2 batches at one time and doubling the time...didn't work, didn't set). Poor into jars immediately and either seal with wax, can, or freeze.

I chose to freeze mine. I used the canner for our garden treasures...spaghetti sauce, salsa, hot peppers. I also froze green tomato jam and made refridgerator pickles. Whew! Summer/fall was busy, but mmm mmm good!

1 comment:

  1. okay I am putting in my order now! he he he, I want jam with seeds for Christmas next year please :)

    ReplyDelete